St. Vitus Church

In category Catholic

Recent publications

  • Mon, Oct 26th
    • Sun, Oct 25th
    • 10-25-2020.pdf
  • Sun, Oct 18th
    • Sun, Oct 18th
    • 10-18-2020.pdf
  • Mon, Oct 12th
    • Sun, Oct 11th
    • 10-11-2020.pdf
  • Mon, Oct 5th
    • Sun, Oct 4th
    • 10-4-2020.pdf
  • Mon, Sep 28th
    • Sun, Sep 27th
    • 9-27-2020.pdf
  • Mon, Sep 21st
    • Sun, Sep 20th
    • 9-20-2020.pdf
  • Tue, Sep 15th
    • Sat, Sep 12th
    • 9-13-2020..pdf
  • Tue, Sep 8th
    • Sat, Sep 5th
    • 9-6-2020.pdf
  • Mon, Aug 31st
    • Sat, Aug 29th
    • 8-30-2020.pdf
  • Mon, Aug 24th
    • Mon, Aug 24th
    • 8-23-2020.pdf
  • Mon, Aug 17th
    • Sat, Aug 15th
    • 8-16-2020
  • Mon, Aug 17th
    • Sat, Aug 8th
    • 8-9-2020
Show More

Contact information

6019 Lausche Ave
Cleveland, OH 44103
Visit Website
Live Streaming Available

Mass Times


Saturday: 4:00 pm

Sunday: 9:00 am

Sunday: 10:30 am

Show Map

About St. Vitus Church - Cleveland, OH

Visit website

During the early 1880s, the first permanent Slovenian immigrants, of whom, Jožef Turk is considered to be the first, arrived in Cleveland, Ohio. Turk arrived on Oct. 25, 1881 and was followed by approximately 50 Slovenian young men. The primary purpose to immigrate was for economic reasons: Slovenia at that time was a province in the Austro-Hungarian Empire in Europe, and a predominantly agrarian society. The Slovenian community in Cleveland, Ohio grew over the next 10 years and encouraged a young seminarian, Vitus Hribar, to respond to the call to come to America and conclude his studies. He would be ordained and serve the needs of the diocese of Cleveland.
The land was purchased on June 29, 1894 at the corner of Norwood Road and Glass Avenue (now Lausche Avenue) for $6,000. On Oct. 14, 1894, Bp. Hortsmann blessed the cornerstone, and on Nov. 4, 1894, Msgr. Boff consecrated the new small wooden church. At the request of the 65 families and nearly 1,000 single young men, the new church would be named “St. Vitus Church” in honor of the patron saint name of the founding pastor.
The wooden church was expanded in 1902 and a new wooden elementary school was established. This was made possible by the arrival of the Roman Catholic religious women’s order, Sisters of Notre Dame, who responded to the call to be teachers for basic academic subjects of study, including the Slovenian language, from grades one to eight.


  • preview
  • preview
  • preview
  • preview
  • preview
  • preview
  • preview
  • preview
  • preview
Support your church advertisers